Cargo Bike Sharing Europe: The annual expert conference
24 May 2023 | @polisMOBILITY trade fair in Cologne
Cargo bike sharing is growing across Europe. In Germany alone, cargo bike sharing is already available in more than 160 cities. Cargo Bike Sharing Europe is the first European expert conference focussing on cargo bike sharing. In May 2022, the conference was established as an annual event by cargobike.jetzt at the new polisMOBILITY trade fair in Cologne. From 2023, the conference is organized by cargobike.jetzt together with the industry association Zukunft Fahrrad.
The all-day programme includes thematic panels, a field trip and networking events to discuss latest developments, opportunities and challenges. Together we will showcase the huge potential of cargobike sharing for sustainable transport — especially for municipalities.
Cologne is the fitting place for that. It is birthplace of the commons cargo bike movement, had the first app-based e-cargo bike sharing system and recently e-cargo bikes became part of the public transport system. During polisMOBILITY 2023, Cologne is also hosting the general assembly of major German cities and the congress of North-Rhine Westphalia´s cycle-friendly cities who both have a cooperation with the Cargo Bike Sharing Europe conference.
If you are interested in being a conference partner, sponsor or speaker please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For updates on the Cargo Bike Sharing Europe conference please join:
The Cargo Bike Sharing Europe Conference is hosted by the trade fair polisMOBILITY (24-26 May), which offers additional exhibition and sponsoring opportunities. For details check the polisMOBILITY webpage or get in touch with Diana Dréan @Koelnmesse: email@example.com, +49 221 821 2264.
07.45 – 08.15 Press event and site visit
Cargo Bike Sharing Europe press event with photo opportunity and cargo bike test ride.
KVB Cargo Bike Sharing station, Tempelstraße corner Benjaminstraße, 50679 Köln-Deutz.
@Cologne fair / Congress Centrum West / Kristallsaal
08.15 – 09.00 Registration & soft-opening
09.00 – 09.15 Conference opening
- Arne Behrensen, Zukunft Fahrrad; Alex Lutz, cargobike.jetzt; Anna-Karina Reibold, European Cyclists’ Federation
- Christian Dörkes, Head of Department for Integrated Mobility Planning, City of Cologne
- Udo Sieverding, Head of Department VII – Future Mobility, Cycle Transport, Public Transport; Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Transport of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia
09.15 – 09.55 Keynotes
- Transforming mobility in Europe: Why cargo bike sharing matters and how to make it work
Jörg Beckmann: Co-Founder carvelo, the Swiss eCargobike-Sharing; Director Mobility Academy of Touring Club Switzerland; Vice-President CHACOMO, the Swiss Alliance for Collaborative Mobility, Bern
- Making cargo bike sharing visible: ECF’s Cargo Bike Friendly Cities Tracker
Anna-Karina Reibold: Communications Coordinator, European Cyclists’ Federation
09.55 – 10.25 One city, different systems: Cargo bike sharing in Cologne
- KVB Lastenrad – Cargo bike sharing as part of public transport in Cologne
Frederik Strompen, Personal assistant of the head of department for mobility, City of Cologne
- Pascal Tsachouridis, Marketing & Public Relations, Green-Moves
- Florian Egermann, Co-founder, Kasimir – Dein Lastenrad / Association of Commons Cargo Bikes
- Tobias Lochen, Founder and Managing Director, sigo GmbH
10.50 – 11.50 Panel 1: Data: Gender, Education & Income – How do we realize “cargo bikes for all”?
- One decade of commons cargo bikes – current state and impact
Michael Bissel, PhD candidate and lecturer at the chair of Sustainable Mobility and Transdisciplinary Research Methods at Technical University Berlin
- How to grow from niche to mainstream
Jaron Borensztajn, Co-Founder, Cargoroo
- One of Germanies largest cargo bike sharing system ventures into new grounds: fLotte Brandenburg & fLotte/SoziaL
Thomas Büermann, Project Coordinator, fLotte Berlin
11.50 – 12.30 Panel 2: Hardware and software solutions: Innovations and challenges for effective cargo bike sharing
- The perfect cargo bike for sharing systems
Philip Douglas, Founder & Owner SwissFleet Services GmbH / Velobility
- Quality standards for public cargo bike sharing
Marco Walter, Managing Partner, Cargo Bike Initiative Sustainable Municipalities (TINK) GmbH
Plenary debate: Q & A with auditory
- Benno Bartels, Partnerships & Ideas, Metz mobility GmbH
- Philip Douglas
- Marco Walter
12.30 – 13.30 Lunch break
13.35 – 14.30 Panel 3: Municipalities matter – case studies
- Cargo Bike Bavaria
Jaime Jose Valdés Valverde, City Planning Office, City of Lindau & Judith Wehr, Head of Office, Cargo Bike Initiative Sustainable Municipalities (TINK) GmbH
- Experiences in cargo bike sharing as public-private partnership
Hilke Evenepoel, Projectmanager Mobipunten bij City of Leuven
- E-cargo bikes for low-incomes: long-term rental with social tariffs in Stuttgart
Ralf Maier-Geißer, Head of Sustainable Mobility, City of Stuttgart
Questions & Discussion
14.30 – 15.25 Cargo bike sharing controversy
Moderation: Marco Walter, Managing Partner, Transport Bike Initiative Sustainable Municipalities (TINK) GmbH
Will cargo bike sharing depend on public funding forever or has it to become profitable?
- Ulrich Schmack, Managing Director, Feine Räder GmbH
- Benjamin François, Co-Founder, Monkey Donkey, Brussels
- Wennemar de Weldige, Department of Economic Development, City of Leipzig
- Alexander Czeh, Country Manager Germany, Cargoroo
Back-to-station, A-to-B rides or free-floating?
- Matti Schurr, Founder avocargo
- Sven Velthuis, Co-founder BAQME
- Philipp Kleinschnittger, Account Manager, Nextbike
Questions & Discussion
15.30 End of closed conference
16.45 – 17.45 Stage panel “Cargo bike sharing in Europe: a growing trend“ and networking with fair visitors
Panel in German Language
Arne Behrensen, Zukunft Fahrrad; Alexander Lutz, cargobike.jetzt; Anna-Karina Reibold, European Cyclists’ Federation
- TINK Netzwerk -Transportrad für alle!
Anita Benassi, Projektleiterin TINK Netzwerk
- Lastenrad-Sharing als Game-Changer für die Verkehrswende
Alexander Czeh, Country Manager Germany, Cargoroo
- Forum Freie Lastenräder: Von einem kleinen Projekt zu einer großen Bewegung
Timo Höfker, Vorstand Forum Freie Lastenräder
- Donau Donkeys – Sharing-Systeme für Kommunen
Ulrich Schmack, Geschäftsführer, Feine Räder GmbH
- sigo – E-Lastenrad Sharing in Wohnquartieren
Tobias Lochen, Gründer und Geschäftsführer, sigo GmbH
- KlimaEntLaster – Lastenradsharing für ländliche Kommunen in Österreich
Alec Hager, Gründer, IG Fahrrad – Die Radvokaten
- Öffentliches E-Lastenrad Sharing für Kommunen
Dr. Ernst Raupach, Geschäftsführer, Green Moves
- Lokale Fertigung, individuelle Lösungen und Miteinander: Verleih- und Betriebsradprojekte neu gedacht
Benno Bartels, Partnerships & Ideas, Metz mobility GmbH
Questions & Discussion
18.15 – 19.00 Bike ride from polisMOBILITY to evening event venue – including short cargo bike sharing site visits
19.00 – open end: Get together & buffet at cargo bike manufacturer @muli-cycles / Widdersdorferstr. 190, 50825 Cologne-Ehrenfeld / hosted by industry association Zukunft Fahrrad, city network AGFS-NRW and Dutch Cycling Embassy
Conference tickets must be booked online in advance. Lunch, dinner and access to the polisMOBILITY trade fair on 24 May are included.
Ticket discount for students, researchers and voluntary associations:
Press accreditation – please send us a proof of your journalistic work:
IMPORTANT: Please apply for the discount before purchasing the ticket by writing us directly. After purchase, the ticket cannot be discounted.
Evening Event Sponsors
The European Cyclists’ Federation is the European umbrella federation of civil society organisations advocating and working for more and better cycling. www.ecf.com
Cycling Industries Europe (CIE) is the Brussels-based voice of cycling business. CIE Members work in Expert Groups to develop policy and technical content in key areas, including bike sharing and cargo bikes. www.cyclingindustries.com
The AGFS (the Association for Pedestrian and Bicycle-friendly Cities, Townships and Districts in North Rhine Westphalia) is a network of currently 99 municipalities that promotes non-motorized means of transportation, preferably cycling and walking. www.agfs-nrw.de
Forum Freie Lastenräder is the association of over 150 commons cargo bike sharing initiatives in Germany, Austria and Hungary with more than 500 bikes and tens of thousands of registered users. www.dein-lastenrad.de
The company TINK advises municipalities in Germany on the introduction of local cargo bike sharing systems and organises a Germany-wide city network for knowledge exchange. www.tinknetzwerk.de
Request free press ticket
Conference Key Visual (zip)
Press Photos (zip)
English #1, 22.3.2023 (PDF)
German #1, 22.3.2023 (PDF)
Gabriele Commisso, conference manager
+49 30 2978 1118
+49 178 2843743
+49 221 821 2264
conference powered by
The first Cargo Bike Sharing Europe conference was held on 18/19 May 2022 in Cologne. It brought together around 100 experts from across Europe at the new trade fair polisMOBILITY in Cologne. Representatives of the European Commission, the German federal transport ministry and the City of Cologne opened the conference.
Press review & releases
19. May 2022, VISION mobility: polisMOBILITY 2022: Cargobike-Sharing-Konferenz – nicht die Auto-Fehler wiederholen
29 March 2022: 72 percent of cargo bike rentals replace car journeys. / 72 Prozent der Lastenrad-Ausleihen ersetzen Autofahrten.
8 December 2021: New expert conference Cargo Bike Sharing Europe / Neue Fachkonferenz Cargo Bike Sharing Europe